13 ¶ “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 “Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
16 “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
This topic is based on two principal assumptions:
- That some people are lost in the world
- That we are not lost ourselves
In this passage, Jesus the Master teacher in His characteristic manner, used the known to illustrate and explain the unknown. Light and salt are two common household items; no matter how poor a family is, it will use light and salt.
In this illustration:
- The world is pictured as being in spiritual darkness and children of the Kingdom of God are the only light source in the spiritual realm of the world.
- The world is pictured as a tasteless and decaying food and children of God’s kingdom are the ones to restore taste and health to the world.
That the world is in darkness is in no doubt
19 “And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
12 ¶ Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
- To be a child of God is to transit from darkness to light
- It is not possible to be a child of God and remain in darkness
If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth
4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
Please also note the relationship between light and life
- It is life that produces the light
- Once the life which a man claims to possess is fake, the light which he cannot produce will reveal the falsity of his claim
These ares the critical matters in today’s world
- It is not possible for a lamp which has lost its light to make any different in darkness
- Once there is a perfect blend between light and darkness, darkness has no problem, it is the light that is dead.
- That there is a perfect blend between the world and those who profess to be Christians today shows no problem with the world; all the problems are with those who profess to be light carriers.
- It is not possible to attract the lost when we are also lost in the world. No man can give what he does not have. If the church people of today can no longer give light to the dark world, it shows that they do not possess it.
- It is not possible to attract the world to the Way when our light has been put off by our romance with the world. In what way can a lamp without light attract a lost man in darkness?
Today’s Wisdom Nugget
The power of a lamp is not in its size or beauty; it is in its ability to give light. Nothing defines a life better than its products
Today’s Prayer Points
- Praise God for the death of Jesus which makes redemption possible for all men
- Praise God for men who still preach the gospel of salvation in this dark world
- Father, remove all dross from my silver; help me to shine anew for you in Jesus name
- Holy Spirit, release fresh oil into my lamp in Jesus name
- Power of God, raise men up as an ambassador of heaven in this dark world in Jesus name
- Every operation of darkness in my life, come to an end this moment in Jesus name
- Every agreement of the kingdom of darkness over my life, family, business and destiny, scatter now in Jesus name
- Father, empower my to be a light give in my generation in Jesus name
- O my God, raise me to sweeten the life of many in my generation in Jesus name
- Darkness shall never comprehend the source of God’s grace in my life in Jesus name
Pray for all our political leaders that God will move them to do that which is right in our nations in Jesus name
Pray for all the Muslims around you, that God will shine the light of the gospel in their hearts
(Follow me on Twitter @amosoladele2013 for inspirational and prophetic words)